3 Tasty Ways to Love Turkey in June
By Shannon Crocker MSc RD, Vibrant Nutrition Communications
Whether you’re hopping on your bike or firing up the grill, June brings warmer weather so that we can get outside and responsibly enjoy long awaited summer days.
Here are three things that are bringing me joy in June – hope they inspire you, too!
- Bike Rides & Picnics
Seems like everyone is out on their bikes enjoying the warmer days. I’m seeing a lot of responsible new bike riders when I take a spin on my local rail trail!
My husband and I enjoy a good pedal push to a great picnic destination; we look for a spot with a terrific river view under the bright blue skies. And when we get there, it’s always a plus when we’ve packed a tasty lunch.
Here’s my go-to backpack of easy-to-eat nibbles:
- Turkey Sandwiches: a wholesome sandwich made with lean turkey will give you the sustained energy you need to power through any activity, like riding your bike or hiking. Go for whole grain breads/buns and add on lots of veggie toppings. . This Vietnamese Turkey Sandwich is super tasty and travels well.
- Cans of sparkling water: along with water bottles on the bike to hydrate, sparkling water is a bubbly way to quench your thirst.
- Trail mix: I like a slightly salty, crunchy trail mix to snack on for an added energy boost.
- Fresh fruit: strawberries come into season in June and are a naturally sweet ending to a picnic.
- Summer Salads
I spend a lot of June days gardening to get the backyard into sublime summer shape (is gardening ever done?). After a fruitful day among the plants, I’m always happy for a simple salad supper featuring grilled turkey.
When I make a grilled turkey salad, I always double up on the turkey so that I’ve got extra turkey ready in the fridge for more easy meals. It also makes a smart snack for my hungry teens!
Here’s a couple of tasty grilled turkey salad recipes that I’ve got on my radar right now:
- Lemon & Herb Pulled Turkey Salad – Fresh June strawberries and lean pulled turkey? Count me in.
- Grilled Turkey Caprese Salad – I’m pretty sure I could devour this salad every week of the summer!
- Backyard Barbecues
With Father’s Day and Canada Day almost back-to-back, there’s lots of opportunity to show off your grill skills! Celebrations will look different this year, but we can still have fun with our families in our own backyards (or balconies!).
From grilled whole turkey, to turkey thighs, to over-the-top tasty turkey burgers, turkey is definitely the star ingredient in my family’s backyard barbecues. Here are three ways we enjoy grilled turkey:
- Beer and Apple Whole BBQ’D Turkey – try this tasty, easy recipe with a flattened turkey. Follow these “how to” tips to flatten – it’s a great way to grill a whole turkey quickly and evenly.
- Best Grilled Turkey Thighs – my family loves dark meat on the grill because it’s super flavourful and moist. As a dietitian, I love turkey’s dark meat nutrition boost – it has even more selenium, zinc and iron than white turkey meat.
- Grilled Turkey Burgers with Quick Lemon Garlic Basil Aioli – I’m sure my husband will be craving seconds of this delicious turkey burger on Father’s Day!
Wishing all the dads out there a happy, healthy, turkey-filled Father’s Day!
Stay healthy and well,