TIP: Blend 1 cup of the vegetable mixture plus your pan drippings to make a base for your gravy. The roasted vegetables will add extra flavor and body.
- Make sure the turkey is thawed and the giblets and neck have been removed.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (177°C).
- Pat the turkey dry with paper towels.
- Rub the outside of the turkey with oil, salt, pepper and sage.
- Rub the inside with oil, salt, pepper and ground sage.
- Stuff the cavity loosely with the sage, apple pieces and shallots.
- Roughly chop the onions, carrots and celery. Place in the roasting pan.
- Add the turkey to the roasting pan and set over the vegetables. Add the broth.
- Roast the turkey for 3 3/4 – 4 ½ hours, until the juices run clear and an instant thermometer reads 180°F (82°C) in the thickest part of the thigh.
- Once cooked, remove the turkey from the oven and let it rest for at least 20 minutes before carving.
Cooking times are for planning purposes only – always use a digital meat thermometer to determine doneness.