Notes: If you can't find whole seeds, use already ground seasonings (but reduce quantity by half: 1 tbsp. cardamom seeds would be roughly 1/2 tbsp. ground.) Butter is preferred for this recipe, but oil works, too (for a healthier option!).
- Heat a small frying pan over medium heat.
- Add coriander, fenugreek, cardamom, cumin, turmeric, and nutmeg. Toast, stirring often, until deepened in colour and aromatic (5-10 minutes max.) Pour into mortar and pestle. Grind until all seeds are a fine powder (a coffee grinder works perfectly, too!)
- Melt butter or oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Once bubbling, add in onions, carrot, and peppers. Cook for 10 minutes, or until softened. Move to a blender and puree. Return to stove-top, add tomatoes, curry seasoning, salt, and pepper. Cook for 1-2 hours (I recommend the two hours!) Stir in coconut milk, cook for few more minutes, and transfer to blender again to puree.
- Preheat cast iron skillet on BBQ (aiming for 400-450F.) Add butter and once bubbling, add salt and peppered turkey thighs to the pan (meaty side down.) Cook for 15 minutes, or until nicely browned. Flip & cook for another 15 minutes. Stir in curry sauce (I went with just over 2 cups but feel free to add as much as you like!) Cook for 5-10 minutes, or until turkey thighs are fully cooked (165F.)
- Sprinkle with fresh cilantro if desired and serve! You can also turn this recipe into a meal bowl (serve over potatoes or rice.) Be sure to remove the meat from bone so it has a "shredded" appearance.