Here’s a quick way to make your own turkey broth. Combine the turkey neck, giblets, a bay leaf and 2 cups of water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, add 1 tsp salt and then reduce heat to a low simmer for 1 hour. This should make 1 ¼- 1 ½ cups. Strain and your done!
- Make sure the turkey is thawed and the giblets and neck have been removed.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Pat the bird dry with paper towels.
- Rub olive oil all over the turkey, inside and out.
- Salt the outside of the turkey and the cavity.
- Combine the rest of the dry spices to make an herb seasoning.
- Generously sprinkle the herb seasoning inside the cavity and lightly rub over the exterior.
- Stuff the bird with the lemon slices and fresh herb bunches.
- Tuck both wings under the breast and tie the legs together.
- Place the carrots and onions in the bottom of the roasting pan and place the bird on top.
- Add the wine and the turkey broth.
- Roast the turkey for 4 – 4 ½ hours until the juices run clear and an instant thermometer reads 170°F in the breast and 180°F in the thigh.
- Remove the turkey from the oven and let rest for 20 minutes before carving.
NOTE: Cooking times are for planning purposes only – always use a digital meat thermometer to determine doneness.