TIP: To add big flavour, make sure to follow these tips. Cook onion slowly until caramelized, but not burned. For best tomato flavor, use a premium brand of canned tomatoes. To add a large punch of flavor, buy butcher made sausage and remove from casings.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat olive oil and sauté onions over medium heat.
- Cook until onions are lightly browned and caramelized, 6 – 8 minutes. In the last 2 minutes, add garlic and mix to incorporate. Do not let garlic or onions burn or they will make your sauce bitter.
- Add turkey meat and sausage if using. Stir occasionally so meat cooks evenly.
- Add garlic powder, paprika, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper, Worcestershire and tamari. Cook for 8 – 10 minutes until no longer pink and cooked through.
- Add tomato puree and diced tomatoes.
- Bring to a gentle simmer. Cook for 10 minutes until flavours incorporate.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. (Some tomato products do not come seasoned)
- Divide into desired portions, approximately 1 cup per person, and freeze until ready to use.