TIP: Make sure to freeze any leftovers. For a quick breakfast, heat stuffing in a frying pan and top with fried eggs for an instant hash.
- Cut the bread into 1-inch cubes. Heat oven to 250°F (120°C).
- Spread out onto a baking tray and dry out bread until the cubes are toasted and crunchy, 30 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Remove sausage from casings. Break up into small pieces and cook in a frying pan over medium heat until cooked through. Remove sausage and set aside to cool.
- Add leeks, onions and celery to the frying pan. Cook over medium heat until onions and celery are soft and translucent and leeks begin to break down and brown, 20 minutes. Add garlic and cook an additional 5-8 minutes. Add white wine to deglaze. Once wine has evaporated, set aside to cool.
- While leeks, onions and celery are cooking, season mushrooms with salt, pepper and olive oil and bake in a 400°F (205°C) oven for 15 – 20 minutes. Let cool.
- Combine sausage, bread, leek mixture and mushrooms in a large bowl.
- Add the beaten egg to the broth and mix. Slowly pour mixture over the stuffing and mix to combine. Bread should be wet but not soaked.
- Season mixture with herbs.
- Bake in an oven-proof casserole dish at 350°F (177°C) for 45 – 60 minutes until browned and crispy.