TIP: Poached turkey pairs well with everything! Feel free to get creative with all your favourite sandwich toppings. Choose from a variety of cheeses and top with a selection of avocado, tomatoes, bacon, lettuce, olives, sliced cucumber, mayo or hummus.
To poach turkey:
- Add turkey breast, skin side up to a large, wide pot.
- Add aromatics: lemons washed and halved, onions peeled and halved, thyme, parsley, rosemary, bay leaves, olive oil, broth, wine, salt and peppercorns.
- Add 2-4 cups water, enough to submerge the breast and cover the aromatics.
- With lid on, bring to a boil and then reduce heat to barely a simmer, for 45 mins - 1 hr until turkey is cooked through and a meat thermometer registers 165 °F (74°C) when inserted into the thickest part of the breast. Cooking times may vary according to turkey size.
- Once cooked, remove turkey breast from the liquid. Remove skin and discard. Let the turkey rest until fully cooled.
- Once cooled, slice thinly using a sharp knife. Turkey can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
NOTE: Cooking times are for planning purposes only – always use a digital meat thermometer to determine doneness.
- Heat oven to broil. Melt cheese on bottom half of the ciabatta buns.
- Spread mustard on the top half of the buns.
- Assemble sandwiches: generously layer onions, peppers, arugula and turkey to each cheesy bun. Finish with the top bun.