If deep frying, use a splatter guard!
- In a bowl combine water, 5 spice, cornstarch, oyster sauce, soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, ground white pepper and salt. Mix well making sure there are no cornstarch lumps and set aside.
- In a wok add a 1/2 tbsp of oil and sauté minced turkey, garlic, and shiitake mushrooms until turkey is cooked through.
- Pour previously combined wet ingredients into the wok. Bring to a boil and wait for sauce to thicken. Set filling aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the wheat starch with boiling water until it forms a dough.
- Add in the glutinous rice flour and sugar then slowly add the room temperature water and mix until the dough comes together. The dough will be hot from the boiling water so use chopsticks to stir together until it is cool enough to touch. Once cool, continue to hand knead the dough. The dough should be soft and malleable, not crumbly, too wet or sticky.
- Pinch off a golf sized ball of dough and roll into a sphere between the palms of your hands. Flatten the sphere on one palm using the ball of the thumb of the other hand to create a flat wrapper of even thickness.
- Place a dime sized mound of filling in the middle of the wrapper (without much sauce). Fold the wrapper in half over the filling. Using your thumb, fold over and pinch the edge of the wrapper creating a scalloped pattern. Keep in mind that the dough will have no stretch (there's no gluten in rice flour), so it is important to not overfill the dumpling.
- Fill a wok with oil, and heat the oil to 300°F. Add dumplings slowly and fry until golden brown, about 10-15 mins.
- To air fry the dumplings, place inside the basket in a single layer, brush with oil, and cook at 320°F for 20 minutes. Flip the dumplings, brush with oil and continue cooking for another 10-15 minutes.