Make the breadsticks dough:
- In a bowl, combine the warmed milk, sugar and active dry yeast. Give it a stir and let it become bubbly.
- Next, in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, add the flour, salt, and oil.
- Once the yeast mixture is bubbly and active, pour it into the flour mixture and knead until the dough becomes soft and elastic.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a damp cloth. Let it rise in a warm environment until doubled in size.
- Once the dough has risen, punch it down and divide it into 10 equal portions.
- Roll each portion of dough into a long log, about 10-12" long.
Wrap the dough around the pepperoni and cheese:
If you're using mozzarella cut into logs:
Grab the pepperoni stick and mozzarella cheese with one hand. With the other hand, coil the dough around both the pepperoni and cheese together, starting from one end, wrapping it around and tucking the end.
If you're using the mozzarella cheese rolls: first,
wrap the cheese roll around the pepperoni prior to wrapping the dough around it.
- Place the breadstick onto a large baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients
- Cover the tray with a damp cloth and let the breadsticks rise until puffy.
Bake the breadsticks:
- Towards the end of the proofing, preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Remove the cloth and using a pastry brush, lightly brush the tops with the beaten egg.
- Bake the breadsticks at 375°F for 2 minutes, and then reduce to 350°F to bake for another 10-12 minutes.
- Remove the pepperoni breadsticks from the oven and brush the tops with melted butter.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese and parsley over the top.
- Serve hot, with a side of marinara dipping sauce if you like.