Note: This recipe will make enough brine for a 3-5 kg (small) turkey. Increase the quantity of brine by 1.5 – 2 times for larger turkeys.
*Servings vary based on bird size - 1 person/lb or 2 people/kg allowing for lots of leftovers.
- Combine all the brine ingredients except water in a saucepan. Add 2 l of water; bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Chill the brine by adding ice water and placing it in a cool place until cold.
- Remove the neck and giblets from the turkey and place it in a large pot, food safe container or a brining bag. Add the brine so that it covers the bird and store in a refrigerator for approximately 24 hours.
- Rinse the turkey with cold water, pat dry with paper towel and then coat the turkey with olive oil, unsalted butter, or a rub, as desired.
- Oven roast, barbecue, or smoke the turkey according to standard cooking instructions.
- A meat thermometer should read 170°F or 77°C when the turkey is done.
- Let the turkey rest for 20 minutes before carving.